Wednesday 25 July 2012

An Act of Kindness


This morning I was having a bad start to the day, everything that could go wrong was. I was feeling down and out and it wasn’t even 8:00am! It was one of those days where you can either chose to laugh or cry.
While contemplating whether to laugh or cry, a friend I work with came into my office to say good morning, with a big (hairy) smile on his face. He had come bearing gifts! In the form of homemade walnut, apple & rhubarb muffins, which he brought to work to share with me. It was the most simple and thoughtful of gestures, but I was touched by it. Instantly it made me smile and forget all about the bad start to my day.

The added bonus was that the muffins were delicious!
My friend’s gesture challenged me and got me thinking about acts of kindness and how I show them.
It can be such a simple act or gesture which speaks the unspoken words “I care”.
You could be showing it without even realising. It could as simple as smiling and saying hello to a stranger, or opening the door for someone, or letting someone know you are thinking of them.
An article on WikiHow states the following:
Being kind is a way of living that keeps giving long after the kind thoughts, words, and actions have taken place. Kindness is a force without force, and it goes well beyond manners to the very heart of how people respect and treat one another.
Being kind is a vital way of making our own lives, and the lives of others, meaningful. Being kind allows us to communicate better with others, to be more self-compassionate, and to be a positive force in other people's lives. Kindness has its true source deep within you, and while some people are innately kind, it's something that everyone can cultivate by choice.
Remember kindness is free! So share it with everyone.  Think, speak and act with kindness every day.
As Princess Diana had once said “Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you.”
I encourage you to show an act of kindness today, you never know who may be in need of it or the effect it will have.
Till next time,
Sarah xox

1 comment:

  1. Sar, it doesn't cost a single cent to be kind, but it can make someone feel like a million dollars!!

    Love ya long time lady......xoxoox

    ReplyDelete